Sunday, August 23, 2009

I Am A Contribution

I have talked before about leading one of the Praise and Worship teams at Oak Cliff Bible Fellowship. What's required of me takes much out of me. My responsibilities call for me to plan the music for the month, get with the musicians to rehearse the teaching of the songs, teach the team all the parts; which by the way has strengthened my GarageBand skills. Before meeting with my team I record all the parts individually and put them on a vocal CD against the original song and give it to the appropriate vocalist. Then we rehearse 3 times a month with a dress rehearsal on the Tuesday before we sing on our Sunday. Then there's Bible Study that Wednesday night prior to our Sunday that I have to lead. Now, mind you, I enjoy every minute of it but being in such a large church that is lead by a world renowned and highly respected pastor who has a major recording artist for one son and a NFL running back for another. Members of my church include Hershall Walker, Tim Brown, Kirk Franklin, Joy Omega, and Derrick Morrison. All who have done some major things... who am I too lead worship service? How was little ole' me making a contribution? Well, this past Sunday I dreaded singing. So much was going on at home, work; Full Sail was killing me and my praise team sounded absolutely dreadful in the rehearsals we were able to have; one being cancelled due to a death in the family. When I got off my knees, I gave myself and "A", invented my own world of possibilities based on my faith and somewhere lifted from above I could see my contribution. When I brought my team off the stage, with my eyes closed I could see true worship taking place. Hands were raised, mouths were open, tears were streaming... the person who was to do the welcome needed a moment to collect himself. My contribution was to let go and let God have his way and boy did he. Regardless of what the calculated world said would happen on Sunday based on our preparation, I made the determination that I was going to make my contribution and I'm humbled because of it.

1 comment: