Sunday, August 23, 2009

Giving An "A"

Every school year for the past 3 years I've been in Texas, I have started off the school year with a "cleaning of the slate" activity which included letting my students know that everyone starts off with an "A". I've enjoyed the looks on the fearful faces in the class that expressed how they truly felt about 5th grade in Texas. Because this is a high testing state, the 5th grade is a critical level for Reading, Math, and Science. If you a student does not pass with 70% for any of the test, the penalty is repeating 5th grade. A ridiculous amount of pressure to put on a 10 yr old, well, sometimes 11 yr old's shoulders. They dread coming to school especially if they have a weakness for any of the subjects. Those same fearful eyes relax just a bit when they realize that all they have to do is keep their "A" and just concentrate on what I'm teaching them in preparation for the test. What they don't realize is, I'm not preparing them for the TAKS test, I'm preparing them for life's test. I attempt to teach them that discoveries are made when mistakes happen. I have quotes all around my room to help motivate my students into believing in themselves and to understand that this test does not define them. After listening to Benjamin Zander read from his book, I'm even more inspired to continue with this practice, but he made me take it even further. My son is starting Kindergarten this year and he has not shown any interest in learning. Now, as an educator, that's hard for me. However, I gave him an A for what he does do well and I was amazed at all the great things he has already accomplished that had been clouded by his lack of desire to learn to read. He'll get the reading eventually, I chose to give him an "A" so that I can love him now. I'm working on my wife next. (just kidding... she gets an "A+". What my son would rather do then read! His influence is great on my younger one.

1 comment:

  1. For whatever reason i was never much of a reader either as I was growing up. I liked school, but didn't care for reading. Library time and I'd be with the Life Magazines or National Geographic because they were more pictures than words. This changed for me as a teenager because it became important for me to read a particular best seller that's rather ancient and actually a collection of 66 books. I went from being a C student in elementary, to being a B student in high school, to being an A student in college. Yeah, I got it backwards, but in a good way. I think you're on the right track as far as encouraging his interests because there will come a day when the only way he'll be able to move further forward is to grab a book and dig in. Onward and upward.

    ReplyDelete